Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Recent Kitchen Creations - Homemade Coffee Creamer

Homemade Coffee Creamer


I recently looked on the back of our refrigerated coffee creamer and noticed how many ingredients are listed. We have been trying to eat a little healthier and reduce preservatives and unnecessary chemicals from our food, so I was excited when my French teacher from high school {thanks, Ms. Monson!} posted this link on Facebook - a recipe for homemade coffee creamer.
YUM. Just to clarify, I'm not going crazy eliminating everything I eat that has preservatives or anything. Not even close. We are just trying to come up with healthy alternatives here and there when we have the time. And this homemade coffee creamer recipe got us excited to try something new {and coffee is a staple in this household}. The result: DELICIOUS. And so easy. We made the French Vanilla creamer listed on the link above, but replaced the whole milk with 2% milk. We use 2% for everything - we didn't want to have to buy another ingredient just for the creamer. So this is the recipe we ended up with:

  • 1 cup 2% milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
In a small saucepan, whisk together milk, cream, and maple syrup over medium heat. Once the mixture begins to steam, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Pour in glass container and refrigerate (source).

There are recipes for several other flavors on that site. We definitely plan to try them all!

Happy sipping :)