Don't get me wrong, I LOVE decorating for Christmas (my in-laws own the amazing Decorator's Warehouse Christmas store in Arlington, which is where our decorations are from - it is AWESOME - check it out if you are nearby...you won't be disappointed)! But I think it's important that in the midst of this busy season we do not lose sight of the true meaning of Christmas: celebrating the birth of our loving Savior.
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a savior, who is Christ the Lord." - Luke 2:11
I'd like to pass along a poem that Steve's parents shared with me on our latest visit to Decorator's Warehouse. It is a great reminder of what CHRISTmas is truly about.
Let us keep Christ as the heart of our Christmas,
the reason for all of our joy.
Let us reflect on the season's true meaning,
the birth of a dear little boy.
Whenever we see decorations that sparkle
and tree lights that glimmer and glow,
let us remember the star that shone brightly
and lit up that night long ago.
Whenever we wrap up our presents to others
and dream of the gifts we'd like best,
let us remember God's gift of a savior,
the gift that outshines all the rest.
Let us keep Christ as the heart of our Christmas
and take time to think of His love...,
the secret to feeling the true Christmas spirit
and knowing His peace from above.
(By: Diana Manning)
Such a fantastic poem. It is so easy to get caught up in the presents, decorations, food, etc., but I pray that God will help me keep my eyes focused on Him!
Here are a few pictures from our afternoon of decorating (some of them turned out kind of dark).
| Burlap ribbon from Decorator's Warehouse. YES. |
| love this "howdy" ornament from DW |
| Our First Christmas ornament from my parents last year :) |
| I used to have one of these popper toys when I was a tot. Thanks Mom and Dad for the reminiscent ornament! :) In case you were wondering - yes, it actually pops. Genius. |
| A deer made from "nature-y" things. So clever. |
| Reveille! |
| Love this. |
| Stockings! |
And last but not least, take a look at what my sneaky husband decided to do...this dropped out of the Christmas tree box when I opened it. Gotta love him!
| Gross. And yet hilarious. Good one, babe :) |
I hope you all are doing well and enjoying this fun time of year. May we remember the true meaning of Christmas and focus on the greatest gift of all - Jesus! Blessings to you and your family this Christmas season.
"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6